NAME : ERSDAL, Gerhard
Year of birth : 1966
Nationality : Norwegian
Languages : English
Current position : Principal Engineer, Structural Integrity
Current employer : Petroleum Safety Authority
Previous employment : 1999 - 2002 : Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, 1992 - 1999 : Multiconsult AS
- Analyses, design and review of structures including hydrodynamic and aerodynamic load analyses, static structural analyses (linear and non-linear), dynamic response analyses (wave-, wind-, earthquake- and transient response), fatigue design, non-linear analysis, vibration evaluations and local steel design.
o Offshore industry, including jacket structures, semisubmersibles, FPSO’s, topside structures, helidecks, flare towers and concrete platforms,
o Onshore industry, including bridges, industrial plants and buildings.
o Experience from the use of the finite element programs USFOS, PROBAN, ANSYS, SACS, SESAM and STAAD III
- Quality assurance including several technical and quality audits of design projects, HSE management and management of structural integrity. Certified Quality Assurance Leader.
- Accident investigation.
- Risk analysis.
- Development of NPD and PSA regulations, and national / international standardization.
Participation in the following Research and Development projects:
- SIM - CMM – Structural Integrity Management Capability Maturity Model.
- “Risk level on the Norwegian Continental Shelf”.
- "Linear and non-linear structural analyses and verification of design principles for large prestressed concrete box girder bridges".
- "Development of design principles for vibrations due to railway traffic".
Participation in the steering comity for the following Research and Development projects:
- Norwegian Deepwater Program - Metocean,
- Marintek JIP "Design loads ad integrity assessment for wave impact on bow and deck structures".
2005 Doktor Ingeniør (PhD).
1989 - 1991 Graduate Civil Engineer (M.Sc.). University of Trondheim, Norwegian Institute of Technology, Department of Structural Engineering. Final degree mark: 1.8
1986 - 1989 Engineering Diploma in Construction.
Post graduate courses, at
2000, Department of Science and Technology. Research methods.
2000, Department of Science and Technology. Environmental loads on structures
1999, Department of Science and Technology. "Reliability of structures".
Post graduate courses, all
1997, Department of Structural Engineering, "Computional methods in structural dynamics".
1996, Department of Structural Engineering, "Wind Engineering".
1995, Department of Structural Engineering, "Transient loading and response of structures".
1994, Department of Mechanics, "Theory of plasticity".
1992, Department of Structural Engineering, "Non-Linear finite element analysis".
Ersdal, G and Aven T. Risk management and its ethical basis. Submitted for publication in Reliabiltiy Engineerning and system Safety, 2005.
Ersdal, G. and Friis-Hansen, A. (2004). “Safety barriers in offshore drill rigs
derived from accident investigation”, Proceedings of OMAE
2004, the 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Artic
Ersdal, G., Kübler,
O., Faber, M.H., Sørensen,
J.D. and Langen,
Ersdal, G., Sørensen,
J.D. and Langen,
Ersdal, G. (2002). On safety of fixed offshore structures, failure paths and barriers, Proceedings of OMAE 2002, the 21st International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Artic Engineering, Oslo, Norway.
Kvitrud, A, Ersdal,
G and Leonardsen R.L.: "On the Risk of Structural
failure on Norwegian Offshore Installations", ISOPE 2001,
Leonardsen R.L., Ersdal, G and Kvitrud, A: "Experience and Risk assessment of FPSOs in use on the Norwegian Continental Shelf -
Descriptions of Events", ISOPE 2001,
Ersdal, G and Kvitrud, A: "Green water incidents on Norwegian production ships", HSE workshop, 27. September 2000
Ersdal, G and Kvitrud, A: "Green water on Norwegian production ships", ISOPE 2000, Seattle, USA
Published on Internet: